Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Business Reporting Software and other Business Intelligence topics.
When shopping for a BI software suite or just to give your company an entry-level capability, be conscious of the trends and differences in key terminology between vendors.
Information Builders, in their WebFOCUS product describes the following capabilities:
· Reporting – Web and browser based tools that provide executives, analysts, customers, and partners to rapidly create rich, formatted reports from enterprise data.
· Query and Analysis – Providing the functionality of query tools, reporting tools, and OLAP into one solution.
· Visualization – Visual Discovery allows in-depth intuitive analysis from any enterprise data source.
· Transaction Systems – Maintain is a high performance solution for building and deploying BI to concurrent users.
Comparatively, Cognos, and its Cognos 8 product describes:
· Reporting – Web services-based tools that report against all operational systems, OLAP, and relational data sources.
· Analysis – Explore and analyze information from OLAP or dimensionally aware, relational sources using drag and drop, comparative or predictive techniques.
· Scorecarding – Link initiatives and projects to strategy and metrics.
· Dashboards – Web-based at-a-glance sna