Deploying reporting or any other type of business intelligence software capability is a complex and difficult process that is often hard to standardize. Help in accomplishing this capability may come from a concept pioneered by the BI developer, Cognos. It is called the BI Competency Center and is based on three suppositions:
· The deployment must connect to senior management, users, and vendors.
· There must be adequate financial support from the CEO and CFO levels.
· Appropriate staffing must be provided by the CIO function.
In order for the deployment to be successful and lead to financial and performance gains, the following observations apply:
· The business reporting software must be used at every level of management.
· The functional business areas served must be data driven (retail, multi-site, or vertically integrated manufacturing are examples.)
· The functional engine must be provided from within the IT department.
· Corporate executives must be the ultimate users.
Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.
The Performance Manager Hand Book
Get your free copy of the new Cognos book for performance managers. Learn how to find the performance sweet spots in your department from the Executive Suite to Finance, HR, Marketing and more.